Friday, March 23, 2012

Day 22

Day 22 was another simply gorgeous day, with temperatures in the 80’s and wonderful sunshine. I happened to be working, but at least I was able to get outdoors on lunch break to absorb some sunlight. Still, I felt a little deprived after taking care of multiple patients who were supposedly emergency cases, but who got to enjoy a whole lot more of the weather today than I did! On my drive home, I tried to soak in as much of the remaining loveliness as I could. It was well after sunset, so there wasn’t a lot to look at, but as I drove over the remote country roads, the fragrances wafting in at my window told the story of the day. I laughed to myself as I pictured my dog in his data-gathering position when he’s on car rides; he sticks his head out the window and snuffles repeatedly as the wind jams all the smells right into his olfactory sensors. I wanted to do the same thing, but on account of the questionable safety of driving with my head out the window, I had to resort to putting multiple windows down and trying not to hyperventilate as I took great gulps of the warm, moist air.

Most of the roads were through woods, so I got to catch the sweet, fresh hints of pine and hemlock. The fields smelled more like plain old dirt (which is actually very enticing to a gardener). And the farms, well, their fragrance was pretty pungent, but many of my happiest moments have been spent on a farm, so it’s a very happy smell to me.

It’s quite possible that someday I’ll live in a city, where the only nice smells are the ones that people spray on (and the niceness of those is sometimes questionable). That will be okay, because it’s settled between the Lord and I that wherever He calls me will be okay. But since right now my place is in the midst of scented woods and earthy farm country, I’ll happily join my dog in his attempt to savor the world around him, full blast.

2 comments:

  1. *laughs* I LOVE the pungent farm smell.

    Thanks for these posts. Daddy says to tell you they've been making him take more notice of the beautiful things around him. I hope you don't stop posting these things, even after the 30 days are over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Leah! It's encouraging to know you both are reading and enjoying the posts, and especially that the Lord is being glorified by His children enjoying more of the beautiful things He gives us!

      Delete